Friday, February 3, 2017

Monthly Quilting

One of my goals for 2017 was to become more social with my quilting. Some of that is done in person, and in today's social media world, some of it is done by connecting with other quilters online. I decided to join in with various groups this year, two online bees, one LQS Saturday sampler, and several online QALs. The problem isn't finding places to join in...the problem is that there are so many great ones I want to do too many!

Anyway, I narrowed it down to just a few for now...although I'm sure that there will be more that I can't resist later this year!

This first one is a brick and mortar store in Edgewood, NM. Busy Bee Quilts is one of my favorite places to shop, and they host an annual Saturday Sampler where you show up to the shop on the first Saturday of the month for a 30 minute demo then you go home and make your blocks. As long as you bring the completed block back the next month, you pay only the initial fee. This year is a mystery sampler, and we had three choices of fabrics. I couldn't decide between the black and white prints and the Australian prints, so I'm making both!
 
Saturday Sampler blocks

The Stash Bee is an online bee that runs January through November. Each month a participant has a turn at being the Queen Bee that chooses a block and color scheme, then the participants in each Hive send a block. This is the January Hive 3 block, a modification of the bear paw.

Bear Paw block

The Bee Hive is the brainchild of Alyce at Blossom Heart Quilts. In this Bee, the participants choose from the patterns presented during the blog series, and each month they get sent to the Queen. January's queen choose an inverse of the Ripples block...I liked it so much that I made one for me too!

Inverse Ripples block for bee
Inverse Ripples block for me
And then the online Quilt A Longs...oh, all the fabulous quilt-a-longs! This is where narrowing the options down became difficult!

I enjoy paper piecing, although I am by no means an expert, so I thought that the Milky Way Sampler QAL being hosted by Alyce at Blossom Heart Quilts would be a great way to practice those skills. Each pattern may be downloaded for free in the current month, or you may purchase the pattern with all at once and get an additional medallion block. I'm choosing to do this one in various batiks, and I made two of the January block, Sirius.


Sirius in purple

Sirius in pink
Alida at TweloQ Designs is hosting an intriguing Growing Up QAL, if you look at the blocks, there are going to be many different techniques learned. The pattern is emailed to you each month for free, if you post a picture of the completed block from the prior month. I like the idea of stretching myself with all the techniques, so here is January's applique block.

Rose applique block
And then The Fat Quarter Shop is hosting the Patchwork QAL...five inch blocks!!! They are so cute and fast! This is a charity qal, and you are encouraged to make a small donation to Make A Wish with each months pattern, how neat is that? I'm out and out copying Melissa at Happy Quilting, and using the Desert Bloom fabrics for my quilt. Here are January's Souvenir of Friendship blocks.

Souvenir of Friendship blocks
That's it for now...in and among my other sewing projects...it should keep me busy and out of trouble! And I just have to mention, if you are looking to add a bit of social sewing to your calendar, then you should absolutely check out the linky of 2017 QALs at Busy Hands Quilts, what a great resource! Be sure to visit, scroll through the list, and find one (or a few!) that you would like to participate in! I'll be joining in with Myra's Postcard from Sweden QAL starting in March, I've already set aside the fabrics to use!

Thanks for stopping by,

Meredith

Linking up to:
Crazy Mom Quilts: Finish it up Friday
Busy Hands Quilts: Finished or Not Friday
Confessions of a Fabric Addict: Whoop Whoop Friday 

4 comments:

  1. Wow! What a nice variety of quilt blocks and group or group inspired quilts! You're certainly starting the year off right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love that we can share in each other's creativity virtually!

      Delete
  2. I love your red and white block! Very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your red and white block! Very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate each and every one. Have a lovely day, and thank you for stopping by!