Thursday, August 9, 2012

Tutorial: Layers of Beauty

Hi Y'all! My little blog isn't going to know what to do with all these visitors!

Today I've got a stamping technique for you to try that provides lots of visual interest without taking too much time or effort on your part, sound interesting?

Your challenge is to create a card using the seamless tiers technique and fall colors.

The place that I learned this technique from called it seamless layers, although I have seen it go by other names as well, such as triple stamping. In short, you use multiple stamps on several layers and on each layer the images flow smoothly to the next. The trick to this technique is in lining up the images on each layer.

Here is a peek of the 'layers'


 To start out, you will cut your cardstock to have three layers. I've cut mine so that each of the layers are proportionatly smaller than the next, how you cut yours is personal preference.

Since I like to cut my cardstock all at once, I also cut the 'mat' layers at this time. Simply measure your top and middle layer, and cut your cardstock 1/8" larger by length and width.

Here is what you should end up with...



My measurements were:

     Card layer          Mat layer
     4 1/4 x 5 1/2      -----
     3 1/4 x 4 1/2      3 3/8 x 4 5/8
     2 1/4 x 3 1/2      2 3/8 x 3 5/8

Remember, these sizes are just what I used, you may make your layers any size that you want to.

This is how your layers should look when stacked together, notice how each 'mat' layer provides a small 'frame' for the layer above.


Now, stack your three card layers and use temporary adhesive to hold them together.



Its a little difficult to see, since they are all the same color, but hopefully you can get the idea.

If you are planning on using a sentiment on your card, stamp that first. Once you get going on your images, you can sometimes run out of room!



Fill your card front with images, just place the stamps on top of the layers and stamp normally.



There will be space between the layers where the image does not transfer because of the difference in height from one layer to the next. Don't worry!



We'll take care of that in the next step.

Pull apart your layers and add the mat layers to the back of the first two layers.



Now stack everything back together again, using permanent adhesive this time. This is the point to add any ribbons, embellishments, or coloring that you might want to finish off your card.



Do you see how with the addition of the narrow mat layers the eye just flows from one layer to the next? And how easy was that to line up all of your images?

I decided that this card needed very little embellishment, and just layered a single colored butterfly with foam adhesive for dimension.



I think that this technique provides a subtle elegance to the card, and can easily be used for many different occasions. This card went to my daughter from her daddy to encourage her during her Coast Guard basic training, and I whipped out several of these in May with Congratulations sentiments and stars all over for Graduation cards.

I look forward to seeing your Layers of Beauty cards with fall colors on the forum!

Thanks for stopping by,

Meredith

1 comment:

  1. O my my
    i never did this kind of card befor
    but do like how you did
    and can I say your card is very beautiful with all of those butterfly
    thank for showing
    I will try this out for me
    i will not put it on the forum you know why
    I will put it on my blog
    have a very nice day

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate each and every one. Have a lovely day, and thank you for stopping by!