Monday, January 17, 2011

Seeing Gray...

So I picked up this pad of coordinating paper a bit ago...some lovely designs by Amy Butler, published by K&Company, that I thought have the loveliest color combinations. The papers are all shades of gray, green, blue, ivory and the tiniest bit of pink. The designs are mostly graphic, with strong lines and bold forms...truly striking.

My dilema came when I needed to choose a project to use these papers...what to do? I had seen projects around the web that ranged from simply framing them under glass (they are lovely enough) to various card projects...none of which appealed to me.

I finally decided to make a mini album, one just for me, full of ink and stamps and lovely colors, one designed to make me smile every time I flip through it...so I did.

Photobucket

I chose to make a 3" x 3" meandering maze album, it is a type of album that you make the pages from just one sheet of 12" x 12" paper...so clever! I used a combination of the instructions from a few different sites, just google meandering maze album and take a look, there are several great tutorials out there.

I love the look of distressing things, so I gave my sponges a workout inking all the edges of the pages and layers...

Photobucket

All the stamps I used are from Unity Stamp Company, from various Kit of the Month's...they do such a clever job of making the phrases look unique! I chose the phrases that make me happy!

Photobucket

The flowers I wanted to use were too bright and new from the package, so they got the ink treatmant too...it gave them the perfect gray tint to coordinate with the paper.

Photobucket

I pulled buttons and ribbons from my stash, and had fun choosing layers and shapes to add to the album to make it shabby enough to make me smile...

Photobucket

When you make the album, because of the way you fold the 12" x 12" paper, you have the option to include some pockets...I included four in my album, so that I could insert tags and include even more quotes that make me happy.

I love how it turned out, and look forward to finding more fabulous sentiment stamps that make me happy, so that I can fill up the pages!

This album was made to fit two challenges, The Gray is the New Black Challenge over at Moxie Fab World, and the No Stress, Distress! challenge over at the Do You Stack Up? challenge blog. You should play along too!

Enjoy,

Meredith

10 comments:

  1. This is fantastic. Thanks for joining us at Do You Stack Up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome project, really very very nice and the papers are great
    thanks for joining the DYSU challenge

    hugs
    Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  3. love maze books - all that work so pretty

    kitten DYSU team

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cool mini album, meredith! totally love it. thanks so much for joining us at DYSU! janna

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great! Love the colors. Thanks for joining us at Do You Stack Up.

    -Wenche

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous mini book - love it. Thanks for joining us at DYSU

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a super idea! I love how it turned out, altho I have no idea how you can get it out of one piece of paper. Looks like you had a lot of fun distressing everything! Thanks so much for playing along with us at DYSU.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This project is stunning~love all the Amy Butler coordinating papers AND you even matched up the flower...so fun :o!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Meredith! Thanks for entering the Gray is the New Black challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate each and every one. Have a lovely day, and thank you for stopping by!